Why Light-Based Therapy Will Be Your Most Successful Acne Laser Treatment
Acne is a common skin condition encountered by men and women of all ages, some for years at a time. It can range from sporadic occurrences to a constant struggle. While there are a variety of ways to clear up acne, light-based therapy is one of the best and most successful acne treatments available.
Whether you’re experiencing acne as a teenager or adult, you are likely to see different forms of it on either your face, back, neck, shoulders and/or chest. The acne you see is typically caused from rising hormone levels. When hormone levels rise, your oil glands become over-stimulated because they are producing extra oils and excess skin cells. This excess causes a blockage of the oil gland which leads to blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, cysts, or boils. Luckily, the dermatologists at Dermatology & Mohs Surgery Institute are trained to help manage and control your acne with a variety of treatments, including high frequency acne laser treatment.
What is High Frequency Laser Treatment?
High frequency laser treatments (also referred to as light-based therapy) for acne are quick, effective procedures for patients suffering from severe acne and who have not seen an improvement with other treatments. This acne treatment is performed by applying a glass electrode to the skin, creating a sparking effect. This eliminates bacteria and inflammation deep within the pimple. There is minimal discomfort and no recovery period needed. Results are seen with just one treatment and patients immediately notice a reduction in inflammation with decreased redness in the days to follow.
Benefits of choosing a light-based therapy acne treatment can include:
- Smoothing out textural deformities and evening out skin tone
- Reduced inflammation
- Promoting collagen production
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
While the benefits are well worth it, there are a few possible drawbacks to using an acne laser treatment, including its cost and the need for multiple treatments to see lasting results. Keep in mind that price will vary based on which specific kind of laser is used, as well as how often treatment is needed.
How to Prepare for Your Acne Treatment
It is recommended that you follow these tips while preparing for before and after your acne treatment:
- Have the procedure done by a certified dermatologist
- Avoid medications and any other items that can affect blood clotting
- Discuss any susceptibility to cold sores around the mouth since high frequency laser therapy can trigger a breakout
- Avoid smoking for two weeks prior to the treatment
- Avoid smoking for two weeks after the acne treatment
- Clean the treated area for the first 24 hours and then up to five times per day for as long as needed
- Apply ointments such as petroleum jelly after cleaning to prevent scabs from forming
Healing from a high frequency acne treatment can take anywhere from 10-21 days depending on the size and location of where the treatment took place. After healing, it is important to use oil-free makeup for at least two months, wear sunscreen, and moisturize.
If you suffer from acne and are in the Bloomington-IL area, contact Dermatology & Mohs Surgery Institute to see if high frequency laser treatment is right for you.